Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Class 3: Blog 2- Story Bird

I think that Digital Storytelling is such a great way to help students get so excited about literacy. I have such an unmotivated class this year, however, I have noticed that when I use technology or hands on approaches to learning, my students are more interested in WANTING to learn and complete the activities. In fourth grade, we do a whole big state project. This project consumes our whole second half of the school year. This being said, after looking through the digital storytelling resources, especially Storybird. I thought, how cool would it be, to have the students create a short storybird for each of their states that they research this quarter.

Currently, we are working on creating an expository piece of writing about our states. Yes, each student is researching a different state. In their state reports, they are required to talk about the different symbols, waterways, attractions, date of admission to statehood, etc. The cover of their state reports is a collage, but I was thinking that it might be a really cool idea to have the students create a storybird about their state, recognizing the information that they have been finding out. I think that parents would LOVE to watch a digital story, showcasing their child's work! I also think that this helps motivate students through the hands on approach to learning. I think that digital storytelling can help students become more confident and creative learners. I strongly belive that digital storytellign can also help enhance literacy skills because it is allowing the students to tell stories in a creative way. My class, in general, loves to play games, complete art activities, and use technology as much as possible, so I am always looking for ways to help improve my students' attitudes towards learning!




5 comments:

  1. Krysta, why not show your students some digital stories made with Storybird and ask them what they think about making state reports with the tool? They might even have other ideas also for using Storybird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you've done with your Unit on States in the past. Did you ever get the class copy of the Whaling book your class created? How cute would it be to do an extension for the learners who are always looking for a challenge and have them create a digital story using Storybird or another digital tool. I love the graphics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you do end up using story bird for the project, I would love to see what the students come up with. They know so much more about technology, and are so creative, so it would be interesting to see their take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In 8th grade, we had "International Day" and each group did a research project that we presented to the school. Creating a storybird would have been a great element! I think it's a better way for parents to participate than simply videotaping it. A videotape says, "Too bad you couldn't be here. This is what happened." A digital story says, "We made this FOR YOU! We think you're important and we took extra time to do this." Cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your project on the States. Very creative idea. It is truly amazing what students can create just by exploring. I think students are not allowed with enough time to explore. If more time was allowed then more create projects would surface. Everyone love to tell a story!

    ReplyDelete